Tuesday 23 April 2013

Something to think about

There are some things that I see people do in ER that will never fail to amaze me. Here are the two that I was faced with today and that still have me scratching my head in bewilderment:

- How hungry do you need to be to come up to triage desk, take a huge bite out of your disgusting sandwich, and talk to the triage nurse about your "emergency" while chewing right in her face with the crumbs all over your mouth? (And if I felt like entertaining myself I would have asked you what you're eating because I know you'll answer "a sangwich", or maybe even "a sammich")

- Did you just crawl all the way from Sahara while carrying a dead camel on your back, that you are absolutely parched and are sipping on a Coke (because, of course, there was absolutely no water accesible to you on your way to the hospital) while telling me you have diabetes, your blood sugar is 26.3 and you think you might be in DKA?

I'll go have a beer and think about this now. Maybe first I'll check for pieces of your tuna sandwich in my hair that were flying out of your mouth and landing on my head while I wrote your triage note though.


No comments:

Post a Comment