Wednesday 1 May 2013

The mysterious case of TMKS

I came across this today:


It reminded me of a patient I had a couple of years ago. She was in her mid-40s. She spent the whole night in our ER and had a million-dollar work up for her vague symptoms. All the tests came back normal. When the doc tried to discharge her home, she came up with new symptoms or complained of the old symptoms getting worse. A couple of hours later, she was still in the room, snoozing away on her stretcher. As soon as you went into her room and woke her up, her pain was a 10/10 and she felt too weak to go home. As I put on my Sherlock hat and went through her chart, one sentence jumped out at me. G7 P7. The woman had 7 kids! After she casually mentioned to me that she couldn't be discharged and wanted to be admitted for a few days due to a high level of stress at home, I knew I had solved the case. Diagnosis: TMKS (Too-many-kids Syndrome) also known as LMSYCLLS (Let-me-show-you-what-a-condom-looks-like Syndrome). Unfortunately, the prevalence if this debilitating condition is not as rare in the developed countries as some people might think. 

I would like to put a disclaimer here: I do respect a person's right to decide on the number of children he or she is going to have. Sure, go ahead. Procreate. Multiply your sad-looking genes. You want to have three or four kids so that your suburban three-bedroom bungalow is always full of joy and laughter and sunshine? Sure. Oh wait, it's not three or four kids you want? You want seven or eight? Or ten? If God is willing? Oh, OK. I think I just lost all the interest in continuing this conversation with you. Thank you. I'll let you go now so that you can finish cooking your husband's dinner.    

I mean, in the end, it's really not up to me to say how many children people should have. But, please, when your herd of little poorly-behaved bastards finally drives you to the brink of insanity, do not abuse the system and use a hospital as an all-inclusive resort. Ask your husband for some money, make and freeze some dinners, get your mother to babysit, and go away for a couple of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment